Victorian homes are feted for their rich history and ornate decorations. Still, this Melbourne property raises the bar – it hosted Australia’s first intercolonial handball competition in 1873 and was later was converted into a brick factory. Architect John Mockridge converted the property, in the Melbourne suburb of Carlton, into his residence in 1970 and the house retains its vintage interiors with cork ceilings and retro mezzanine, and open timber rafters.
Abstract. If a history of the game of handball in Australia is ever written, the name of the North Melbourne club will occupy a prominent place. THE authorities of St. Joseph’s C.B.C., North Melbourne, built a wooden. Cancel. Save.
A historic Victorian-era property in Melbourne that hosted the first intercolonial handball competition in 1874 is now home to singer-songwriter and actor Troye Sivan.
An erstwhile brick factory and handball court, the property was transformed into a residence in 1970 by architect John Mockridge, preserving the essence of its Victorian-era origins. Today, it’s ...
handball court. The owner, Victoria Brewery Pty Ltd, had no further business interest in a hotel without a liquor licence and it was sold in 1920. The handball court was converted into a brick factory facing Macarthur Place, then subdivided from the old hotel site in 1950. In 1970, the factory building at 22 to 24
The home itself was built in 1869 and was initially used as a handball court. In 1950, the building was converted into a brick factory. Twenty years later, in 1970, it was finally made into a ...
These Handball court walls stand witness to a rich and diverse history spanning the 1870's through mid 20th century modernism to now, holding it's place here, on one of Carlton's prettiest Squares. Once home and studio to renowned architect John Mockridge there is a purity of design, generosity of space and subtlety in the lines of sight through the house to garden and sky.
A year earlier a wooden handball court had been built, a first for any school in Melbourne and in 1913 this was replaced by a brick three wall court, said to be the best in Australia at the time. Over the next five decades the school hosted State and Interstate handball championships at various times. 
Handball was brought to Australia by the Irish and the 1838 Act of New South Wales forbade publicans to have any ball courts in or about their hotels. The first championship was played in Melbourne in 1847 for a prize of $150 and by 1880 many championship games were covered and lit by gaslight.